In a Nutshell...
I have a passion for creating design templates that allow the photographs and memories your clients hold dear, to take the spotlight, and illustrations that tell stories …Products that bring joy and become treasured and cherished family keepsakes.
I am inspired by everyday people doing kind things, by rainy afternoons, watercolors, and currently, handmade everything - especially handmade typography and hand lettering.
Until recently, as a self-employed, full-time graphic designer and artist based in Portland Oregon, and a mother of three, I used to work from my home office, and wherever I could take my sketchbook and iPad.
Wonderful, old fashioned cafés were a nice break every once in a while, and made for the best work space away from the office.
This past year I moved my office outside the house, but I still enjoy occasionally taking my work to the café or the bagel shop across the street :)
Random Facts about Me
In no particular order...
1. I was born in Europe, Romania. For the curious, Romanian is Latin based and sounds a lot like Italian.
2. I grew up in Transylvania, but no vampire encounters to report on ;)
3. My favorite weekday is Tuesday.
4. One on one conversations with new people are still an adventure, and take me way out of my comfort zone.
5. For the past 4 years, the work I do through EW Couture has been supporting our family of 5 and has allowed for one of our dreams to come true - have a stay at home parent. If you've been using EW Couture products, you are part of our story and made it possible. Thank you!
6. Green Tea is the official drink at the office. Never been a green tea lover, but Mighty Leaf has changed my mind about it :)
7. I sneeze in threes, but I am pretty sure it has nothing to do with growing up in Transylvania, or being born in Europe.
8. I get attached to people and places, and I get my sense of home from belonging. And when it comes time for big changes, even for the best, I cry a little for what's lost, before I can fully take in the new and move on.
9. I focus best on work when my desk and office are organized. Clear space, clear mind.
10. Stationery and designer pencils are a couple of my guilty pleasures.
11. While I am a designer by trade and education, photography will always have my heart.
12. I am a self taught water-colorist and illustrator.
13. Behind the Stories (by Diane Eble) and Abundant Living: 364 Daily Devotions (by E. Stanley Jones) are two of my most favorite books that I like to randomly pick up and read. Bite sized wisdom on every page.
14. A perfect day out has my husband in it, a Portland’s Nu Vrei almond croissant and a stop at the bookstore.
How I Came to Create EW Couture Collection
I remember enjoying pencil drawing as a kid, something I rediscovered not long before starting the Graphic Design program. However, photography has always been my passion.
When applying for college, I chose the Design program over Photography, a little by chance. I didn’t have enough money to afford all that the Photography program required.
While in the Graphic Design program, I saved enough eventually and bought a film camera. Along with the few photo classes I took , I studied and researched photography at length, on my own.
I started creating marketing templates as a way to give back and say thank you to the photographers who took the time to help me and answer my questions, during the Flickr days. ...That's how EW Couture Collection was born.
What I Like about What I DoEdgar Degas, said it so beautifully: “Art is not what you see, but what you make others see.”
Design is always present. It affects our lives in ordinary, mundane, as well as remarkable ways, and most of the time we are not even aware of it. It’s satisfying and humbling at the same time, being part of other people's stories and lives!
...The excitement I feel when seeing things I create in print, in other people's homes, never gets old. And it never will :)
samples from the Mpix EW Couture Collection line of products
Outside of creating photo templates I like to...
I am very passionate about designing and while it is more than a job for me, it is not my life. I enjoy cooking for my husband and our 3 children. It’s my happy place. …I love the bounty of flavors in Italian food, especially!
When I am not creating art or something new in the kitchen, I am playing and laughing with the kids and Paul, kissing boo-boos, reading, or we are out on walks as a family. I am still fascinated with the ways the kids experience and discover life every day.
I am always ready to read a good book. My favorite movies are probably the Incredibles, Gladiator and The Martian. Making others smile makes me content. I would like to visit Prague soon, and I dream of planting my own vegetable garden and a butterfly garden in our future back yard.
family and artist portrait courtesy of Velvet Owl Photography/Heidi Haden
Thank you for stopping by! And thank you for taking the time to also get to know me a little bit, and why I do what I do.
I consider it an honor to - in some small way - be part of what you do. Creating products that bring joy to your clients, and allow you more time to photograph and create memorable images for them, is my joy.
...Delight your clients, and do more of what makes you awesome.
Sincerely, Elena W
Why EW Couture Collection templates?
Be known for bespoke products that become treasured and cherished keepsakes to be passed from generation to generation. Delight your clients, and do more of what makes you awesome.
...What will you do with the extra time?
"All of her products are very chic and have the feeling that you spent a lot of time working on a custom project just for them. Everything is stunning with a touch of modern high class and a bit of retro charm. Your clients will love everything and her work can help create a great look for your name and business."
"Oh Elena, Elena, Elena.....where do I begin...I purchased 2 mini accordion templates over the weekend and am completely enamored!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you so much for creating these beautiful designs and making me look like I spent hours creating something that in reality took me less than 30 minutes, start to finish!!! I love EW Couture!"
"I just wanted to say a huge thank you for all the amazing free templates! After looking through countless sites looking for card templates for advertising I had just about given up trying to find what I wanted when I came across you. Your free stuff is actually better than a whole lot of paid stuff I've seen! I have never been so pleasantly delighted with such a find as in your designs. I will regularly keep up with what you do and I hope in some way your generosity will be paid back to you in lots of nice ways."
"I just wanted to let you know that I am selling a TON of Christmas cards using your templates!! EVERYONE is ordering 50, I normally only sell 25 when I do sell them! All my clients love them :) "
As a brand, I have a passion for creating designs that leave clients delighted and inspired.
The photographs you’ve created with care - and your clients hold so dear - take the spotlight.
Life is filled with beautiful, hilarious and the occasionally crazy moments that we each treasure, and delight in remembering. Photographs are frozen moments that reveal just how rich our lives are. They help us remember the little things and stories that so easy come and are gone.
Photographs are our most cherished open doors to the past. Treat them like the treasure they are. ...That’s the belief at the heart of EW Couture Collection.